eDiscovery Daily Blog
Marketing a Litigation Support / eDiscovery Department within a Law Firm: The “Marketing Mind-Set”, Part 3
In all of the marketing that you do, you need to stay focused on selling solutions to your clients’ problems rather than on selling your services. Don’t promote products and services. Promote solutions.
Always be thinking and talking about:
- How you can make your clients more efficient.
- How you can save your clients money.
- How you can make your clients’ jobs easier.
- How you can free up their time so they can focus on substantive work.
Always focus on the problem you can solve, or the task that you can make easier, or the costs that you can cut. This will get their attention. This will peak their interest. This will be the deciding factor in their choice to involve you in a case.
Selling solutions rather than services should be part of any “big picture” marketing that you do as well as part of one-on-one marketing that you do to individual attorneys and litigation teams in the firm.
The mind-set principles that we’ve covered in the past few posts are critical. Regardless of how many presentations and newsletters and brochures that you do… those activities are likely to fail if you haven’t approached them with these mind-set principles in mind. So, let me recap them here:
- Marketing is anything that you do to get a new customer of keep an existing customer.
- Whether you realize it or not, you are marketing all the time. It is not an occasional, planned activity. It is a mode of operation.
- Think of your department as a stand-alone company, and think of the litigators in your firm as clients.
- Focus on selling solutions to your clients’ problems, not on selling services and products.
Be sure to look for posts in this series next week, when we start discussion of marketing mechanisms for getting new customers. We’d really like your input on how you’ve approached marketing in your firm. How much marketing do you do, and what’s worked well for you? Please share any comments you might have or let us know if you’d like to know more about a particular topic.
CloudNine empowers legal, information technology, and business professionals with eDiscovery automation software and professional services that simplify litigation, investigations, and audits for law firms and corporations.