eDiscovery Daily Blog
Your “Mashup” of eDiscovery Market Estimates is Even Earlier This Year: eDiscovery Trends
We look forward to the eDiscovery Market Size Mashup that Rob Robinson compiles and presents on his Complex Discovery site each year. Each of the first three years that we covered it, the Mashup was released in July – with estimates for 2012 to 2017, for 2013 to 2018 and 2014-2019 (in two parts). Last year, the Mashup was released early, at the end of April for 2015 to 2020. This year, the Mashup is even earlier: Rob has released his worldwide eDiscovery software overview for 2016 to 2021 now!
Taken from a combination of public market sizing estimations* as shared in leading electronic discovery publications, posts, and discussions, the following eDiscovery Market Size Mashup** shares general market sizing estimates for the software and services area of the electronic discovery market for the years between 2016 and 2021.
Here are some highlights (based on the estimated from the compiled sources):
- The eDiscovery Software and Services market is expected to grow an estimated 15.31% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) per year from 2016 to 2021 from $7.997 billion to $16.304 billion per year. Services will comprise approximately 69.9% of the market and software will comprise approximately 30.1% by 2021.
- The eDiscovery Software market is expected to grow at an estimated 16.61% CAGR per year from $2.279 billion in 2016 to $4.915 billion in 2021. Software currently comprises 28.5% of the market and, by 2021, 74% of the eDiscovery software market is expected to be “off-premise” – which includes cloud-based and other Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)/Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS)/Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solutions.
- The eDiscovery Services market is expected to grow at an estimated 14.78% CAGR per year from 2016 to 2021 from $5.717 billion to $11.389 billion per year. The breakdown of the services market by 2021 is expected to be as follows: 67% review, 19% processing and 14% collection (basically unchanged from last year with review down a point and collection up a point).
Growth rates are up after being down the past two years, with the overall, software and services markets estimated to grow at two percent faster than the estimates from the last two years.
Here are the sources that Rob states were used in compiling the “mashup” (including his own, how clever!):
- Annual eDiscovery Market Size Mashups – 2012 – 2017, ComplexDiscovery, March 4, 2017.
- eDiscovery Business Confidence Surveys – Running Listing. ComplexDiscovery. February 28, 2017.
- Zion Market Research. “eDiscovery Market for Government, Regulatory Agencies, Enterprises, and Law Firms.” November 23, 2016.
- Markets and Markets. “E-Discovery Market by Solution, Service, Deployment Type, and Vertical – Global Forecast to 2021.” November 2016.
- Future Market Insights (FMI). “eDiscovery Market Analysis – Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity Assessment.” July 5, 2016.
- “Worldwide eDiscovery Software Market Forecast, 2016-2020: Back to Basics.” Angela Gelnaw. June 30, 2016.
- Gartner, Inc. “Market Guide for E-Discovery Solutions.” Jie Zhang. June 30, 2016.
- S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration. “2016 Top Markets Report – Cloud Computing.” April 14, 2016.
- “Worldwide eDiscovery Services Forecast 2014-2019.” Sean Pike, Angela Gelnaw. December 2015.
- Gartner, Inc. “Critical Capabilities for E-Discovery Software.” Jie Zhang, Garth Landers. October 6, 2015.
- Transparency Market Research. “eDiscovery Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2014-2022.” July 6, 2015
- Markets and Markets. “E-Discovery Market By Solution, Deployment, Industry, & Region – Global Forecast to 2020.” July 2015.
- Global Industry Analysts, Inc. “eDiscovery (Software and Services) Global Strategic Business Report.” May 28, 2015.
- Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for E-Discovery Software.” Jie Zhang, Garth Landers. May 18, 2015.
- The Radicati Group. “eDiscovery Market, 2014-2018.” Sara Radicati. December 3, 2014.
- Transparency Market Research. “eDiscovery Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2014-2020).” June 2014.
- Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for E-Discovery Software.” Jie Zhang, Debra Logan, Garth Landers. June 19, 2014.
- “Worldwide eDiscovery Software 2014-2018 Forecast.” Sean Pike. May 2014.
- The Radicati Group. “eDiscovery Market, 2013-2017.” Sara Radicati. August 2013.
- Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for E-Discovery Software.” Debra Logan, Alan Dayley, Sheila Childs. June 10, 2013.
- The Radicati Group. “eDiscovery Market, 2012-2016.” Sara Radicati, Todd Yamasaki. October 2012.
- Transparency Market Research. “World e-Discovery Software & Service Market Study.” August 2012.
- Rand Institute For Civil Justice. “Where the Money Goes: Understanding Litigant Expenditures for Producing Electronic Discovery.” Nicolas Pace and Laura Zakaras. April 2012.
- “MarketScape: Worldwide Standalone Early Case Assessment Applications Vendor Analysis.” Vivian Tero. September 19, 2011.
- Industry Observer Estimations (Multiple Observers)
So, what do you think? Do you think the eDiscovery software and services markets are on the rise? Please share any comments you might have or if you’d like to know more about a particular topic.
Disclaimer: The views represented herein are exclusively the views of the author, and do not necessarily represent the views held by CloudNine. eDiscovery Daily is made available by CloudNine solely for educational purposes to provide general information about general eDiscovery principles and not to provide specific legal advice applicable to any particular circumstance. eDiscovery Daily should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a lawyer you have retained and who has agreed to represent you.
CloudNine empowers legal, information technology, and business professionals with eDiscovery automation software and professional services that simplify litigation, investigations, and audits for law firms and corporations.